Estate planning can be stressful, but knowing what to expect can make the process much easier. Read on to learn more about estate planning in California and for a checklist that can help you better prepare.
What to Consider
Everyone is different. As a result, every estate plan will be different. It is important to work with an estate planning attorney who can meet your individual needs and help you form a cohesive and comprehensive estate plan. In order to create an estate plan, it helps to have goals in mind. For example, what matters do you want to address? Do you have a special needs loved one to care for? In this case, your attorney may suggest creating a special needs trust. In addition, it can help to come prepared with ideas for some of the documents you may want to include. For example, you may want to create an advance healthcare directive, a power of attorney, and more.
What Documents to Bring
In order to create your estate plan, there are a number of documents you will need. When meeting with your estate planning attorney, it is important to bring the following:
- Your financial statements (checking, savings, money market, brokerage, pension, IRA, etc.)
- Your most recent bank, investment, and retirement account statements
- The deed to your house
- Your previous estate planning documents, if you have any
- Prenuptial or postnuptial agreements
- Divorce agreements
- Business agreements.
- Copies of your retirement plan
- Copies of your life insurance policy
- Contact information of your doctors
- Contact information for family members
- An unofficial list of the people you may want to list as trustees, executors, health care agents, etc.
- A list of your estate planning goals
- A list of any questions you have for your estate planning attorney
If you have any questions or concerns about the estate planning process, our firm is here to walk you through it. Reach out today to speak with a skilled estate planning attorney.
Contact our Firm
Working with an experienced estate planning attorney, such as Jaci Feldman of the Woodland Hills, California, Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman, will ensure that you are taken care of when you need it most. Do not delay. Estate planning is a more urgent matter than you may think. You never know what the future holds. Contact The Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman to schedule a consultation today.