Does my Child Need a Power of Attorney in California?

When your child turns 18, you can no longer be involved in certain important aspects of their life. For example, you may not be able to make medical decisions on their behalf, help handle their finances, and so on. One way to tackle this issue is to create a power of attorney for your child. Read on to learn more.

Types of powers of attorney in California:

There are a number of different types of powers of attorney available in California. In order to determine which is best for you and your child, it is important to read the following overview and speak with a knowledgable estate planning attorney:

  • Non-Durable Power of Attorney: These are only valid for a specific period of time and are usually only utilized for certain transactions. Once the transaction is complete, the non-durable power of attorney will end.
  • Durable Power of Attorney: These are activated once the principal becomes incapacitated, and will grant the agent full control of several aspects.
  • Medical Power of Attorney: A medical power of attorney is an important document when it comes to parents making important healthcare decisions for their children over the age of 18.
  • Special Power of Attorney: Special powers of attorney are used for one specific area. For example, if someone owns a business, they can create a power of attorney for a business partner to make business-related decisions for them, should they become incapacitated.
  • Springing Power of Attorney: Springing powers of attorney take effect once a triggering event occurs. They are either durable or non-durable.

If you and your child are both interested in creating a power of attorney once he or she turns 18, it is important to work with an experienced estate planning lawyer. Our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced and dedicated California attorney.

Contact Our California Firm

Estate planning is a more urgent matter than you may think. You never know what the future holds. Contact The Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman to schedule a consultation today.

Contact Us Today We Can Help

Send A MessageChat With Us818-264-4005

Recent Blog Posts