How Can I Make Sure My California Home is Passed Onto My Children?

When creating an estate plan, a person’s most valuable asset is often their home. It is because of this that if you are working to secure assets for the future of loved ones, such as your children, this is an important one to protect. It takes proper estate planning to ensure your children will inherit your home when the time comes. Continue reading below to learn more about how this is done and contact an experienced California estate planning attorney for assistance.

How do I Pass on a Home to my Children?

There are four different options available to you when creating an estate plan in order to leave a home to your children. This includes the following:

  • A will: This allows you to choose who you wish to inherit your assets, such as a home. All assets in this document will go through probate. Probate is a court-supervised process for ensuring the transfer of assets to a beneficiary is in accordance with the terms of the will. However, it is important to note that any debts you owe will have to be paid first. 
  • A living trust: This allows you to transfer the home to the trust and to manage and benefit from the asset. While this avoids probate, outstanding debts still need to be paid. A trustee is appointed to make decisions regarding the assets and handle any beneficiary conflicts.
  • Joint ownership: Owning property jointly with another person can mean the property will pass to that individual upon your death. This should be done carefully, as it can sometimes cause certain issues.
  • Transfer on death: In some situations, you can name a beneficiary to receive property upon your passing, allowing you to continue holding the property in your name and avoid probate.

Why Should I Hire an Attorney?

Matters of estate planning are very important. This is because they ensure your cherished assets and belongings are prepared to be distributed to loved ones when your life is over. However, these matters can also be complex and no estate plan is the same as another. It is because of this that it is best to retain the services of an experienced estate planning attorney to guide you through the process. A proper attorney can ensure you are including the documentation you need in order to achieve the goals you want for your estate. This can include leaving a family home to your children in the event of your death. Contact our firm today to speak with an attorney regarding your case.

Contact our Firm

Working with an experienced estate planning attorney, such as Jaci Feldman of the Woodland Hills, California, Law Office of Yacoba Ann Feldman, will ensure that you are taken care of when you need it most.Contact The Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman to schedule a consultation today.

Contact Us Today We Can Help

Send A MessageChat With Us818-264-4005

Recent Blog Posts