An important part of your estate plan is choosing the person who will execute it. This is a large responsibility, so it is important to choose someone you trust greatly. This individual may be known as a personal representative. Before selecting your personal representative, it is important to be aware of the responsibilities you are bestowing, so you can make the decision that best suits you and your needs. Read on to learn more about selecting a personal representative in California.
What Are the Responsibilities of a Personal Representative?
Your representative will begin carrying out his or her duties after your death. Although it is extremely important you pick someone you trust, you must also pick someone you know will be capable of handling these responsibilities, even in a time of grief. Some of the things a personal representative must do in order to complete the process of closing the estate include:
- Your personal representative must first file your will with the Register of Wills. Whether the will has to go through probate or not, this should be done in the county where you resided.
- If applicable, your personal representative must also file a petition for probate with the Orphans’ Court.
- Your personal representative must publish a statement in the local newspaper, instructing anyone who has a claim to make against you to do so now.
- Your representative will also have to create a record of all your beneficiaries, assets, and any other remaining creditors. He or she must also take an inventory including the assets and their appraised values.
- He or she will have to ensure all outstanding federal, state and estate taxes are filed.
- Your representative will have to distribute all assets to beneficiaries listed in your will.
- Your personal representative must handle any contested matters of the asset distribution amongst heirs.
- Lastly, he or she will file a Certificate of Compliance to close your estate.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding choosing a personal representative or any other matters of your estate plan, contact our firm today to discuss with an experienced attorney.
Contact our Firm
Working with an experienced estate planning attorney, such as Jaci Feldman of the Woodland Hills, California, Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman, will ensure that you are taken care of when you need it most. Do not delay. Estate planning is a more urgent matter than you may think. You never know what the future holds. Contact The Law Offices of Yacoba Ann Feldman to schedule a consultation today.